Friday, January 14, 2011

Working It Out

I joined a gym before the holidays in an attempt to get back in shape.  It is so crazy to walk around work and see that everyone has put on 5-10 pounds over the last 6 months, including myself. I went from the best shape in my life to the worst. A combination of long hours and unhealthy food brought in for dinner during the busy season, and having leftovers for lunch the next day with cookies and brownies and snacks.  My goal was to lose 5 pounds by my birthday, which gave me 1 month.  I am currently down 3, but we'll see if I can keep it off and then some.  I sometimes feel myself slipping into busy season eating habits.  I have really been enjoying the gym though.  Every morning during the week I meet two of my girlfriends from work to take the 6 AM classes.  Even though I groan about getting up at 5:20 AM every morning, once I've been up for 5 minutes, I get over the fact that I am up sooo early and I am glad that I have several hours before I have to be at work.  Even though I clearly lack coordination (step class was ridiculous, I'm lucky I didn't trip and fall over), I really enjoy pushing myself in class.  Then when class is over we have an hour to sit in the sauna, shower, and get ready for work, and we generally spend the whole time talking.  By the time I get to work, not only do I feel great because my workout is done, I feel good because I've already been up and socializing for 3 hours.  It makes the fact that we're working 11 hour days a little more bearable.  Plus, I'm losing weight and getting back in shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment