Monday, October 11, 2010

Under the Pillow

I seriously need to do laundry.  Formerly, when I lived in a place with a washer and dryer, I was really good about keeping up with the laundry.  But when I moved into an apartment without a washer/dryer, I began to hoard dirty laundry.  It would pile up until I was out of underwear (and I have a lot of underwear), forcing me to go to either my sister's house (she has three girls and a never ending pile of laundry) or my mother's house.  My mother's house was usually a better bet because she worked late and had cable.  I didn't even have a TV, so cable was a real treat...hours of food network to watch.  Plus, if the last load was taking too long to dry, and I was tired and had to wake up for work the next morning, my mom would fold the last load and she would send me home with a lunch to take to work the next day. Score!  She would  even fold my underwear, which as I said, there is a lot of.  The first time my mom folded my laundry she asked if I changed my underwear several times a day (depends if I workout, but really just twice a day, that's normal, right?).

So I have since moved in with my mother (go 28 year old me!), and thus have full-time access to a washer and dryer.  My laundry is still piling up, but one advantage of living with my mom is that she washes my towels and robe when she does a load.  So, I was posting about under the pillow...I am at the point where I have a huge pile of laundry in my basket, and while I am not yet out of underwear, I am out of workout clothes and pajamas. Pajamas were what I was actually looking for, since I've been wearing nothing but my robe for the past several hours (total house outfit of choice, since I no longer live alone and naked is no longer an option) and it is time for bed.  So I look in the drawer and I don't have pajamas...then I remembered they were under the pillow.

Why do I keep my pajamas under the pillow?  Because I over think way too many things.  As mentioned above, I generally prefer to be sans clothing when I am at home by myself (unless I'm cooking), and I also prefer to sleep naked.  One night, while laying in bed naked, it occurred to me that should something happen, such as a fire, I would have to run out of the house naked, and how embarrassing would that be?   One possible option I considered was just wrapping up in a sheet and running out of the house if necessary.  However, should I grab my blanket to run out with, there would be a good possibility it would drag and either (a) catch on fire or (b) get caught on something, and in both scenarios, I would still end up outside, naked, and possibly cold (although this is Florida, so maybe not cold).  From that point forward, I began neatly folding a tank top or t-shirt and boxers and keeping them under my pillow (because the end table might be too far to reach during a fire).

Sure enough, I lifted up my pillow and found my pajamas.  Then I remembered the story of how it came about that I started leaving my pajamas under my pillow and decided to share it.  It is much like the story of why, from the age of 12, I began almost exclusively wearing my hair in a ponytail.  But that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment