Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Can't Stop Moving

A couple of weeks ago I asked my mother what Courtney and I were like when we were my niece's age (7, almost 8).  She said she couldn't remember.  My mother used to have a lot of migraines.  Some days she would just lay on the couch for the entire day with the lights off.  My mother said that the one thing she remembered about Courtney and I from that time was that we never stopped moving, we were just like blurs in her peripheral vision and that it was hard when she was having migraines.

So I have a desk job...and I still don't like to sit still.  I get very antsy at work and for the last 7 years of working a desk job, I have come up with ways to move.  I drink a lot of water, so I have to get up several times to refill my glass, and subsequently, use the bathroom.  I've taken walks around the block on my breaks.  I run up and down the stairs, and go to the printer, and organize and put away files.  Anything to find an excuse to move when I have a minute of downtime.  

We were recently in our slow period and because I had so much extra time I would just get up and walk around the office.  Get some coffee, wash my coffee mug, fill my water, get a snack, walk to say hi to someone, do some work, print my files to the printer on the other side of the office, get my papers, do some work, get some more water, use the bathroom....and on it went. Luckily, I am extremely efficient when I am completing my work.  Really, I am very good at my job.  

I was having lunch with a coworker, B, the other day and had asked him to join me for a walk after we ate.  While we were walking b looked at me and point blank asked, "where do you go when you're not at your desk?" This is the first time someone confronted me about my wandering.  I was a bit taken aback..."I don't know. I just walk around the office."  

Maybe it is time to reign in my wandering before other people start to notice.  My only consolation is that B probably notices what I do more than other people at the office since we're friends and he sits behind me.  Also, I don't wander when we are busy, only when I don't have something I could be doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment