Saturday, March 5, 2011

If you like it then you should a put a ring on it...just not after the fact

Life is comical.  As long as I look at it that way I should always be happy.  I've had the weirdest morning and I could approach it two ways: I choose to appreciate the hilarity of life.

I woke up at 7 AM, in a chair at my friends house, hungover.  I had a phone call from my twin sister that our mother had been arrested for a DUI, and could I go post her bail. She would have, but she doesn't want to drag her daughters to a bondsman and then the county jail on her eldest daughter's 8th birthday. I have several missed calls, my head is pounding, and I'm also still feeling the vestiges of last nights shots, which I was goaded into by some youngsters just out of college who guessed my age at 22/23 instead of 29.  I let my friend know that I had to run and headed to my sisters house to wish my niece a happy birthday and to chat with my sister about the plan of attack on springing our errant mother from jail.  When I get to my sister's house, she had a gift for me, from my ex boyfriend, whom she and her family had met up with for dinner the previous night.  Mark and I dated for two years and broke up just over a year ago.  He has refused to speak to me since then, but I still send him the occasional message to which he does not reply.  I open a large box wrapped in My Little Pony wrapping paper to find a very beautiful box...

And in the box is a ring....


An engagement ring that I saw in an antique shop on a vacation in New Orleans over a year and a half ago.  Apparently, Mark had called the shop after we got home, had them hold the ring, and then flew back out to New Orleans to pick it up. So he had this ring for another 6 months or longer that we dated after that vacation. So now I have an engagement ring, from someone who will not talk to me, and who said they would never get married.  Life is funny like that.


And then there is bonding my mother out of jail.  Weird, weird day when that isn't the highlight.  I've got to say, I've never picked anyone up from jail before and it was a bit embarrassing to explain that I was there to pick up my mother.  But when she finally got released and walked out in a tshirt that said "Pit Bull Mom" on it, I had to just shake my head and laugh at how this whole situation was playing out.

Oh, mother....

She ended up missing the birthday party anyway because she was in booking all night and didn't get any sleep.  But I did get her in time to make it to the birthday party myself.  Luckily my nieces didn't ask why grandma wasn't there.  What a conversation that would be...my crazy life.  It is never dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment